Apart from shaping it’s heritage to what it is, many visitors and invaders of Ceylon be it the Dutch, Portuguese, English, Arabs, Moors, Indians… have left a culinary legacy that is extremely colourful and scrumptious. Gourmet travel enthusiast who is bold enough to explore is in for a remarkable indulgence.
So today, I thought I’d introduce you to my favourite top-notch restaurants in Colombo and they are very different to each other so you’ll see a fabulous variety of cuisine to select from. Apart from great food they know how to make you feel like royalty.
- Ministry of Crab: This speciality restaurant is nestled in the heart of Colombo in the midst of a 400 year old building – “The Dutch Hospital”, that was recently renovated to meet with times. As the name suggests they specialize in Crab; while they do serve some chicken dishes my recommendation is don’t even look at those for the Crab here is just AMAZING. Dig in with some “Kade Pan” (Wood-fired bread) along with scrumptious “Chilli Crab” or “Pepper Crab” for that spicy Sri Lankan feel; oh and forget cutlery. I strongly suggest you make advanced bookings as they tend to get pretty busy. This establishment is a partnership between the legends “Mahela Jayawardena” and “Kumar Sangakkara” along with the celebrated chef “Dharshan Munidasa” so get an autograph if you see them there 🙂
- Nuga Gama: This little oasis in the middle of the Central Business District of Sri Lanka called “Nuga Gama” is probably the best kept secret in town. One of the restaurants in the luxurious hotel Cinnamon Grand is nothing short of spell binding. Designed around a 200 year old “Banyan Tree” as one of the rural villages of Sri Lanka this restaurant packs loads of spices into it’s mouth-watering dishes that are cooked in clay pots. Dressed as local villages, the staff is able to explain how things were done in the villages and you will be transported back in time throughout your meal. I highly recommend having dinner and an advance booking is probably a must.
- Sizzles: loved by many travellers and locals alike for its wide range of sizzle from drinks through to your desert. Inspired by Sizzlers, this restaurant brings flavour, taste and aroma into platters of mouth-watering meats and seafood alike. With a menu inspired by boxing, they have all the upper-cuts, jabs and knockouts you need.
- 1864: The plush setting is part of the oldest hotel “The Galle Face Hotel” in Sri Lanka. Started in 1864, the restaurant house an amazing collection of vintage vines and this is the spot if you are in the mood for some gnocchi or for something more close to heart like Tasmanian Salmon or the Aussie Angus steak
- Semondu: The fusion restaurant from the sky, has an extensive menu and is run by the Sri Lanka airlines. With an extensive menu ranging from ocean lobster, pasta and steaks you are in for lip-smacking treat. I had the trio of seafood as the main and Sri Lankan style Vanilla Crème Caramel Pudding and was just enough to take me to food heaven 🙂
So here we are; my favourite restaurants in Colombo that me and Shehana love to eat in. Amazing places with great food and pure Sri Lankan hospitality will just leave you amazed.
Luxury travel to Sri Lanka is redefined with first hand personal experiences through Ananka Holidays. So, give us a call on 1300 675 574 or email us at email@example.com and let us put together a hassle-free tour to Sri Lanka in complete luxury.
Till we meet again, stay blessed.
– Shiv –